Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Tags Are Expired!!

So I go and buy a new car, figure out financing and pay the registration. I drive away without a care in the world except for trading in a SUV with a full tank for a 4-cylindar with ¼ tank. Where is the justice? ($60 bucks later)

I love everything about this new ride. It’s comfy, it’s quiet, it will save me big bucks in the long run… However, I’ve noticed that the tags on the license plate are expired. Like almost a year expired. The registration IS current, this I know because I am in possession of the paperwork to prove it. The Long Beach Police are another matter. They DON’T know!!

I saw the police cruiser in my rear view one lane over. I watched him change into my lane and pull up behind me. I watched as he leaned in to key in my license plate number on that little computer thingee they have in the front dash. I watched as he looked up again, only to lean over and switch the car’s flashing red and blue lights at me.

SHIT! “This is about the tags, isn’t it?” I ask the nice officer as he approached my window.

“Yep.” He replies.

“I figured. I only bought this car Thursday night.”

“I’ll need your license and proof of insurance. Do you have any of the paperwork from the dealership? Receipts from the sale?”

“At home. But the registration is on the windshield.”

The nice officer walks around to the passenger side and lifts the registration paper off the glass and takes a look. “June 5th, that would be last Thursday. I’d keep that paperwork in your car until you get the new tags from the DMV, if I were you.” He then took my license back to his cruiser, probably to check for any warrants and seconds later came back, gave me back my license and thanked me for my cooperation.

Now what? How many times should I expect to be pulled over until the DMV, always known for their promptness, sends me my new tags? Hopefully, AAA can give me new ones tomorrow.

As much as I enjoy looking at a cute police officer, getting pulled over isn’t my favorite way to do it.

2 comments:

Poopsie said...

I think you hit on the perfect way to meet cops.

You devil you.

Babsie said...

I'm with Poopsie. Besides, the cops are WAY cuter than the denizens of the DMV!