Sunday, June 22, 2008

All In The Name Of Mooching Air Conditioning!!

We're having a heat wave...did I mention that?

I'm waiting on the delivery of my AC unit, but in the meantime I got stuff to do. I've got laundry, grocery shopping, knitting... The first two are completed in the morning before the sun rises over the yard arm (whatever that means). Now what? Do I just sit here and watch the drips of sweat race down my leg? Nope.

Yesterday I filled my water bottle and walked the short mile to the Public Library and sat in there for the afternoon. I got a lot accomplished on the "Clapotis" wrap and should be done knitting tomorrow or the next day. All in the name of mooching air conditioning from the city.

While walking the mile home I stopped at the local movie house and bought a ticket for an 8 o'clock show. There is a method to my madness here. I could go home now, eat some dinner, take a shower and dress faster than my sweat glands and get the heck out and sit at Starbucks for an hour while I wait for the movie. All in the name of mooching air conditioning from corporate America.

I can actually recommend "Get Smart." It was at times laugh out loud funny. Perhaps in my light T-shirt, skirt, and flip flops it got uncomfortably cold in the theatre, but was I complaining? Nope!! I was going to sit there and take it if it killed me. All in the name of mooching air conditioning from Hollywood.

Hey, it isn't like I'm buying pirated DVD's from China or anything.

So this morning I call my Mom and ask her if I can come hang out at her house and if she would come walk up onto CSULB's campus to take more photos for my little slide show production. She would. We found shade and a much nicer breeze than at my house. It amazes me how much difference in temperature 6 miles makes. I even brought over stuff to grill for dinner and invited one of my brothers to join us. I mentioned we had ice and didn't have to ask him twice. He brought dessert!

There's no air conditioning to mooch at Mom's. But it's Mom's house. The comfort zone for three grown children.

Heat wave or no heat wave, Mom's got the cool house. It doesn't get much better than that.

3 comments:

gapepper said...

:-)

I totally understand mooching AC off of Corporate America. When you work for an electric utility, you enjoy that even more!

Poopsie said...

So that's why you go grocery shopping alot these days!

Babsie said...

Sounds just about perfect to me! I have that song (from Damn Yankees?) "It's Too Darn Hot!" stuck in my head now!