Sunday, August 3, 2008

So I Got The Popcorn

This summer has been a heck of a ride.

School let out for the summer just before Memorial Day and I thought, "whoopee, I have 7 weeks of freedom!" Whatever shall I do with all that free time? I had visions of reading books that I chose. Knitting Christmas presents. Going to the movies whenever I wanted. Having a bit of a vacation...

Well I did read ONE book and I finished a previously started knitting adventure (yay!). I saw a couple movies and before I knew it, that mini break was over and summer school started.

Comic Spirit is the name of my class. I had visions of Monty Python, 70's SNL, and sugar plums dancing in my head. But it was not to be.

Nothing about this class is funny! I've learned that the difference between Comedy and Tragedy is that in Comedy, whatever obstacle is placed in front of our hero is resolved, happy ending, plain and simple. I've learned that Comic Spirit is the ability to heal anything through laughter and love.

Where's the funny??? I want to laugh! I want my eyes to water (I don't really want to pee my pants, but you get the picture). Professor has got us reading Aristophanes (Ancient Greek), Plautus (Ancient Rome), Boccaccio (Renaissance), Shakespeare, and Moliere. They are all a snooze fest, except for Boccaccio, I actually enjoyed those 100 tales of the Decameron. Some of them were pretty racy for their time.

Again I ask, where's the funny? As I walked down the hallway after class last week, I could swear that I saw "The Life of Brian" playing in one of the classrooms. I find out there is another Comic Spirit class going on at the same time. Why did my fate put me in the boring class.

How do I know the other class is funny? I don't. But I'd like to think it must be better that what I'm stuck with. They get Monty Python...

I'm on my own here. I'm finding my own funny. I've got Netflix red envelopes sitting around, all my choices. Should I pop one of the dvd's in?

No! Instead I meet a friend at the movies to see Mamma Mia. We have a deal that I join her for any movie that includes Colin Firth and she accompanies me for any movie that includes Hugh Grant. Not a problem, but I wish Hugh would get off his ass and make a movie for crying out loud!

I even plan to go without my ration of movie corn. I need to be good and stick with the program. I'll bring a healthy snack.

The movie starts. I tap my feet, sing along and laugh. I found my funny! Even if listening to Pierce Brosnan is a tad painful, he is still James Bond, still good looking, and if you can manage to plug your ears and forget what he sounds like, you'll enjoy yourself. I can admit, this is my 2nd time and actually I liked it better this go round.

It was probably the small popcorn I bought after someone blew the popcorn scented wind machine in my direction. Will power be damned. I love that crap!

I'll have the fiber one bar tomorrow...

3 comments:

Poopsie said...

No Jery Lewis and Dean Martin? No Lucille Ball? What kind of comic history are they teaching you?

Babsie said...

Colin Firth.

Coooooooolllllllllliiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn Fffffffiiiiiiirrrrrrttttthhhhhhhhhh!!

Lorie McCown said...

Well, nothing wrong with a little movie watching! Thanks for visiting my blog, how do you like CSULB? I loved it, but it was the late 80's then..:-) cheers!